About the estate
The Achentoul Estate extends to some 20,000 acres of the Flow Country of Sutherland. The landscape offers expansive uninterrupted vistas and a real feeling of solitude, two things which are increasingly rare in today’s world.
The estate was originally rented from the Duke of Sutherland by Frederick Nutting in about 1890 before finally being purchased by him in 1905 when there was a great sale of Sutherland sporting estates. The boundary of the estate was redefined at this stage and remains the same to this day. The estate passed to Frederick’s nephew Sir Harold Nutting after the first world war, to Sir Anthony Nutting in 1972, and then to Sir John Nutting in 1999.
The lodge was built prior to the Nutting Families involvement with the estate. At one stage they also owned a house further down the Strath Of Kildonan at Kilphedir (now part of the Torrish Estate) which was used when fishing the lower beats of the river (particularly in the Spring). It is now much easier to drive around in a motor car than it was in those days, and all angling tenants stay at Achentoul Lodge.